From the NAGC President:
- May 3, 2013 - NAGC Communications School: Looking Back, Looking Ahead
NAGC Presents a Special Webinar: Risk
Communication and Strategies
March 27, 2013, 9:00 a.m. EST
Has your agency every had to deal with an emergency or a crisis situation? Have you gotten the phone call that the media is on its way to interview you about it?
Tom Slater, Risk Communications Manager for the New Jersey Department of Health, will share his knowledge and expertise when risk communication becomes necessary for your organization. Whether the objective is to motivate people to take action, calm people down when they are enraged, or to educate and inform, there are specific techniques and strategies to effectively communicate and educate when people are stressed out. The webinar will include Risk Communication Strategies and Principles, Why Everyone is a Spokesperson, and Why We Need the Media.
- Registration Fee: FREE for NAGC Members! $25 for non-members.
- Deadline to Register: Register by Monday, Mar. 25, 2012. Once your registration is received, you will be sent instructions for joining the webinar on Mar. 27, 2013.
- Download the registration form here
Government Conferences: Now
Succeeding in Challenging Economic and Regulatory Times
(March 2013) NAGC was one of the sponsors of this webinar, which you can see now on-demand at no charge, with the transcript available for download.
Former ABC Network News correspondent Barbara Pinto guides us through an exploration of changes, challenges and opportunities brought about by the budget, the scandals and the expanding need for government, the private sector, and academia to communicate and collaborate. Topics included:
- The traditional conference is under attack; why and how?
- Strategies for 2013 that consider current budget and travel restriction!
- Does technology have the answers? What are the options?
- Does virtual connectivity really work? What do you gain and what do you lose?
- Hon. Jay M. Cohen, RADM, USN (Ret.)
- Carol Bonasaro, President, Senior Executives Association (SEA)
- John Verrico, President-Elect, NAGC [download slides]
- Adam Arthur, Virtual Platform Initiative Lead, CDC
- Theo Mayer, Chief Technology Officer, Hybrid Conferences Inc.
- Cecily Sommers, Author and futurist
- Daniel Dubno, Emmy-award winning TV producer
NAGC Director John Verrico Quoted in Government Executive Article
In a Mar. 12 article posted on the Government Executive site, NAGC's Director of Professional Development John Verrico was quoted on the role of government public affairs personnel. “Government public affairs personnel should be considered a journalist’s best friend. Our role is that of a facilitator, not a blockade to a story,” he said. “It is in the best interests of both of us to see that a reporter gets the information he or she needs in order to write an accurate account of whatever the issue may be.” Read the article here.
International Delegation Visits NAGC Headquarters
A Montenegro government communications delegation visited NAGC Headquarters on Jan. 30, 2012, to talk with NAGC leaders about the role of government communicators and to exchange information about responsibilities and best practices. Pictured, left to right, are: George Selby, NAGC Past President; Lisa Novak, NAGC Conference Committee; John Verrico, NAGC Professional Development Director; Ana Radusinovic, Spokesperson, Ministry of Justice, Montenegro; Tamara Ralevic, Spokesperson, Police Directorate of Montenegro; and Vuk Vujnovic, Head, International Public Relations, Government of Montenegro Communications Team. Also present was Inda Swanke, Consecutive Interpreter, U.S. Department of State.