Welcome… Whether you are brand new to our organization or renewing a longstanding membership, the National Association of Government Communicators (NAGC) has more to offer goverment communications professionals than ever before.
The National Association of Government Communicators is dedicated to advocating, promoting and recognizing excellence in government communication. NAGC is dedicated to providing opportunities for individual professional development and career advancement, enhancing effective communication with constituents, and advancing the profession of government communication.
- exclusive access to NAGC member online communities, job opportunities, and research and training materials
- discounts on registration/entry fees for the NAGC Communiations School, webinars, the Blue Pencil & Gold Screen Awards, and other NAGC events
- opportunities to direct the future of the profession by joining volunteer committees or running for an NAGC leadership position
- the chance to provide peer feedback as a judge for the prestigious Blue Pencil & Gold Screen Awards competition
Best of all, NAGC can help you gain real-world skills public employers need and want.
Good Communication … Good Government
Membership in NAGC connects you with other communicators at the federal, state, county, municipal, university, and military levels of government. If you are a media officer, public relations specialist, all-around communications specialist, writer, speech writer, editor, graphic artist, photographer, videographer, filmmaker, website developer or social media whiz working in government communications, you will find others around the country doing a job much like yours.
Learning and Networking
NAGC’s annual Communications School is an opportunity to hear top-level speakers in multiple interest areas, while networking with other government communicators. In addition, throughout the year, NAGC sponsors networking events for professionals like you.
Annual Communications School
Our annual conferences include general sessions, keynote addresses, breakout sessions, optional networking activities, the NAGC Blue Pencil & Gold Screen Awards Banquet and an exhibit hall. The NAGC Communications School is the only event of its kind providing invaluable networking opportunities and practical educational sessions to help government communicators increase their skills.
The coveted NAGC Government Communicator of the Year Award is presented during the Communications School and honors an individual who has communicated a critical government message with a high standard of professionalism and ethics. The NAGC Communications School is endorsed by the Federal Communicators Network.
Discounted Member Registration Fee
NAGC members receive special discounts on conference registration. Members are also frequently offered discounts on registration fees for other educational programs offered by our partner organizations.
Past Communications School Presentations
NAGC members have constant access to speaker presentations and other resources posted in the members only page at www.nagc.com
Exclusive Access to Club of Venice Newsletter
NAGC members enjoy a free subscription to this resource produced by the Club of Venice, the consortium of the top government and institutional communicators in the European Union.
Each issue is crammed with articles on best practices in communication tactics across the European government, as well as insight into some of the unique challenges faced there, and the challenges that are common to us in the States. You can access the newsletter by entering the members only area at www.nagc.com (under resources).
Professionalism in Public Service
NAGC Blue Pencil & Gold Screen Awards underscore the association’s high standards of professionalism in public service and are presented at a special awards banquet held during the annual Communications School.
This international awards program recognizes superior government communication products and those who produce them. The judges for the awards are selected from among your peers and are considered to be experts in their field. The following examples show the range of opportunities in the more than 40 categories.
- Media Relations
- Graphic Design
- Multimedia Electronic Communications
- Social Media
One winner is awarded Best in Show!
Discounted Member Entry Fees
Discounted member entry fees apply to NAGC members who had substantial input into the preparation or production of the entry and who are listed as contributors on the entry form.
Volunteer Board of Directors
- President Kathryn Stokes
- President-Elect Chris O’Neil
- Immediate Past President John Verrico
- Treasurer Donna Harris
- Secretary Beth Armstrong, MAM, CAE
- Communications Director Scott Thomsen
- Competitions Director Sabra Brown
- Education Director Maria VanderKolk
- Marketing Director Wendy Wagner-Smith
- Membership & Volunteer Director John Nixon
- Professional Development Director Bethany Hornbeck
- Executive Director Elizabeth B. Armstrong, MAM, CAE
- Associate Director Michelle Savoie, CMP
- Exhibit & Membership Manager Jennifer Walsh
- Communications Manager Dawn Shiley-Danzeisen
- Program Coordinator Gina Reistrup
- Web Site Content Manager Chelsea Firth